Machine maintenance (Wood Joinery)
- Cutter-head sharpener, tool grinder Sets up and operates grinding machines to shape and sharpen planer knives and woodworking machine cutters according to specifications
- Positions and secures work piece or sheet stock, template, and machine accessories onto machine, using hand tools.
- Turns hand wheels to set travel and pressure of cutter head or knife stock across or against grinding wheel to shape or sharpen work piece.
- Starts machine and observes grinding operation to verify conformance to specifications.
- May also cut out plastic templates used to fabricate knives and cutter heads.
- May also hone cutting edge of ground knives, using whetstone and oil.
- May also cut and grind silicon carbide jointing stones to match pattern of knives.
- May also select and install grinding wheels on machine, using hand-tools, applying knowledge of product specifications and abrasives.
- May also manipulate blade across grinding wheel by hand.
- May also turn valve to control flow of coolant.
- May also sharpen or shape knives and saw blades, using hand-tools.
- May also sharpen bits and boring tool.
- High school diploma
- Trade certificate holder preferred
- Proven Blade Sharpener
- Familiarity with common mechanic’s tools, service, and diagnostic equipment
- Coordinated and agile
- Ability to work in uncomfortable, physically demanding positions, stand on one’s feet for prolonged periods, and lift heavy objects
- Attentive to details
- Able to work well on a team
- 3 to 5 years experience in the same field